Saturday, April 4, 2015

Hold on

Hi, happy Easter holiday wherever you are!
My week has had it's ups and downs, but it was well yesterday as I attended my friend's wedding- and I am glad that she is fine and wish them all the best in their married life.

There has also been times of sorrow as we have seen students killed by a group of people who believe they are fighting a righteous course, for a God who does not advocate for violence- and it is sad even so, that we have forgotten the element of courtesy that has long been drummed in us since early childhood by posting very graphic images of this attack on social media.
I believe that this is the age of information and awareness.
Everyone is a journalist.
Everyone is a reporter.
Everyone is a story-teller.

But, not every one is humane...and it hurts me that in circulating these images- we have broken the spirit of parents, relatives and more so friends of the students who lost their lives in the #GarissaAttack. 

The dead deserve their respect, and those whose lives have been ended wrongfully do deserve their justice, and when I went online and saw mutual friends share these pictures with the statement "Type RIP", it hurt me- and it still does, because it is not about getting likes or comments to something you have posted- whoever is in that picture is someone's child just like you are- and would you want your parents to learn of your death in such a manner?

Would you want to the subject of "Type RIP"?

Would you want your loved ones to see you lying in a pool of blood,or dismembered and with people who barely know you simply sharing your picture and typing "RIP?"

I say it is not right! Do not use someone's grief to increase traffic to your social page! And to be honest, if you are my friend and you are reading this- the easiest way to lose my respect is by disrespecting other people- and posting such threads that find themselves on my wall. I will unblock you and add your posts to the spam folder.

This extends to whatsapp too- enough with the chain messages- I have literate friends who have emotions and can express them- if you cannot speak with your voice, then do not numb my intelligence with someone elses! I am done being understanding.

Freedom comes with responsibility- and you have every right to express your opinion, as I have every right not to take it as gospel truth! You have every right to speak up, but no right to be stupid. You have every right to vent your anger, but no right to burn the bridge that you are on.

And so my request is for a little humanity...think of the golden rule "do unto others as you expect others to do unto you," before you share anything online.
Someday it might be you...and for all that it's worth, I wish you the best, and pray that this weekend, we pray for those who lost their lives, and for their relatives whom we have hurt in the name of being on social media. I pray for humanity- because it is all we are killing in our attempt to be cool, but isn't it sad that the internet never forgets?

--
Do not let anyone define you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for Reading!